MULBERRY SILK REELING
ONGOING RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Title: Development of New type of yarn (Void Silk) in reeling and spinning processes and its characterization – CYR 7084
- Hariraj, M.M. Shirol, Kiran B. Malali & Subhas V. Naik
It is expected that such variety of yarn would enable extensive use of spun silk in silk handloom sector and also economics of spun silk production which in turn also helps reelers to get better price for their silk waste in Indian market itself.
- Title: Development of Miniature Eri Spinning Plant for better productivity and quality for adoption in North Eastern Region of India. – CYS 7086
Aswatha Reddy, K.M.A. Kadhar, G. Hariraj & Subhas V. Naik
- In recent years there is a quantum jump in Eri cocoon production but there is no Techno-economically viable cocoon to yarn conversion technique in vogue.
- It is proposed to develop a small scale spinning plant in association with a machinery
- This would help to transform Eri spinning activity from a low income, part time job, low productivity into high productive, higher remunerative, full time job for medium scale Eri spinners in the North Eastern Region of India.
- Title: Studies on cocoon cooking using high temperature & high pressure technology & also using chemicals for achieving better reeling performance & quality silk particularly from unfavourable season cocoons – CYR 7088
Subhas V. Naik, Aswatha Reddy, M.A.Joseph & D. Ravikumar
The output of the study is anticipated to result in an effective method for better cooking of cocoons particularly produced under unfavourable conditions. This will help the reelers to realise significantly better silk recovery (i.e lower renditta) achieve better quality of silk and productivity as compared to existing conventional cooking methods.
- Title: Studies on reeling performance and quality characteristics of raw silk from male and female cocoons and its influence on fabric properties – CYR07003SI
M.G. Mahesh, Dr. V.Subhas Naik & Mallappa Shirol
To produce superior quality yarn and fabric with better properties and to make it available in the market for particular end use.
- Title: Techno Economics of Automatic Silk Reeling – CYR07004SI
Dr.Subhas V Naik, K. M. Abdul Kadhar, Ravi Kumar D, K.N. Mahesh
Helps in the estimation of quality & quantity requirement of raw material ie., bivoltine cocoons, which is very crucial for the growth and sustenance of this fast expanding segment.
- Title: Development of an apparatus to estimate the reelability of cocoons – CED07005MI
Project co-ordinators: Dr. Subhas V Naik, Director, CSTRI &
Dr. V. Sivaprasad, Director, CSR&TI, Mysore
PI & CI: Shillin Sangappa, Prakash N Bhat, S.A. Hiremath, Dr. Shunmugam Manthira Moorthy & Shivakumar Hukkeri
As the reelability parameters is most important as this plays a vital role in arriving renditta, production of quality raw silk and predicting the cost of raw silk production. If the reelability parameter tested for all the cocoon lots before the auction will help in bringing quality linked pricing. Hence if an apparatus / instrument for estimating the reelability of the cocoons in prescribed time frame is developed may help the cocoon markets in quality linked pricing of the cocoons lots.