Recently Completed Project
1. Title: Study of Comfort Properties of Silk Woven Fabrics and Modification of the Same with Plasma Treatment
Scientists involved: CSTRI, Bangalore: Jameela Khatoon, M.K. Ghosh, K. Jaganathan, M.A. Joseph and M.K. Ghosh; BTRA, Mumbai: Shital Palaskar
Two varieties of silk woven fabrics were developed with two different weaves and varied structural parameters and were evaluated with respect to the comfort properties and it was observed that the changes in structural parameters can improve the comfort properties of these fabrics and some varieties can be ideally suitable for both winter and summer applications and also cater to the requirements of both mens shirtings and ladies blouses. These fabrics were subjected to Plasma treatment and it was observed the comfort properties are influenced by the treatment but the difference is insignificant.
2. Title: Studies on comfort properties of eri silk and wool blended fabric for winter wear applications
Scientists involved: Brojeswari Das, Naveen V Padaki and K. Jaganathan
Along with the 100 % eri and wool fabric, three different eri-wool blended yarn fabrics were prepared. The blending was done at draw frame. Blended fabrics were subjected for the testing of physical properties, thermo-physiological and aesthetic comfort properties. Based on the test result the blend proportion has been optimized for the development winter wear clothing.
3.Title: Studies on the abrasion resistance of silk upholstery fabrics:
Scientists involved: K. Jaganathan, Brojeswari Das, Dr. M. Joseph and Naveen V Padaki
- Database of fabric parameters and properties of the commercially available upholstery fabrics.
- Developed silk upholstery fabric with high abrasion resistance.
- Chemically treated fabric with excellent abrasion resistance property.