Silk Wet Processing
Ongoing Research Projects
Studies on photo degradation of silk fabrics
S.A. Hiparagi, K.Jaganathan, G. Thimma Reddy & Subhas V. Naik (CSTRI, Bengaluru); Lu Sun, Rangam Rajkhowa & Xungai Wang (Deakin University, Australia); Keith Millington (CSIRO, Australia)
- Photo degradation characteristics (database) of different silk fabrics
- Scientific understanding of UV degradation behaviour with respect to chemical and physical changes in silk fabrics
- Appropriate finishing treatment to improve UV resistance of silk fabrics and,
- Blue print for Engineering suitable silk fabric/ product with better UPF can be made available.
Studies on electrospun silk fibroin nanocomposite fibres for biomaterial applications
Naveen V. Padaki, Uday C. Javali, Prakash N. Bhat & Subhas V. Naik (CSTRI, Bengaluru); Alessandra Sutti, Xungai Wang (Deakin University, Australia)
- Development of nano-composite electrospun fibres using sericin-encapsulations and understanding its encapsulation stability and biodegradability characteristics.
- Understanding of fibroin matrix and sericin reservoir system of encapsulation techniques on the release kinetics, and
- Cytotoxicological properties of the developed silk nano-composite fibres.
Development and characterisation of silk and silk blended melange yarns
Sreenivasa, Prakash N. Bhat, Jameela Khatoon, S. A. Hipparagi, Brojeswari Das & Subhas V. Naik
- Optimized process parameters for manufacturing silk and silk blended mélange yarns.
- Varieties of silk and silk blended melange yarns.
- Data base of the structural, strength, functional properties of varieties of silk and silk blended mélange yarns.
Development of silk yarn finishes and study of its effect on performance & properties of loom finished silk fabrics
Y.C. Radhalakshmi, M.A. Joseph, Sreenivasa, Jameela Khatoon & Brojeswari Das
Loom finished silk fabrics are the thriving share holders in domestic Indian silk market which constitutes approximately 70% of silk consumed in India. Loom finished silk fabrics have some disadvantages, hence chemical finishing treatment at yarn stage is proposed to be developed to address the said issues and also to impart desirable properties and versatility for the loom finished silk fabrics.
- Design and development of eco-degumming machine for eri shells